Thursday, August 23, 2007

Derek Laud - Racism article in The Times

There is a nice piece written by Andrew Anthony in The Times today which I think shows Derek in a good light.

The article is about race and racism both to and within the black community. The author interviewed Derek a number of years ago before he had gone on Big Brother when he was running for election. The author asked him about the contradictions between his day-to-day life and the fact he was black. Derek dismissed this in a way that I at least hope race could one day be seen (although this is highly unlikely to happen).

He does not see himself principally as a black man. He sees himself as a man, a Tory, a fox hunter etc etc and the black part falls way down the list. Just like a white man is not likely to identify himself as white first off - I am British, an Englishman, an economist, a Salopian and I would name many many more things before I would say white.

I believe it is that sort of response that would make Derek Laud a great politician. He has been able to move beyond the petty and the exterior.

I highly recommend this article : - Question to blacks: what’s so wrong with coconuts?

No comments: